MAWS provides information only. If you are in danger call 911. If you or someone you know is being abused, call the confidential 24/7 provincial toll-free crisis & support line at: 1-877-977-0007
The new Willow Place-MAWS FV/GBV prevention course is a 2-3 hour online learning initiative with foundational material on the forms and effects of gender-based violence (GBV), how to recognize signs of GBV, and how to provide culturally sensitive, non-judgmental and trauma-informed support to those affected by family (FV), domestic (DV) and gender-based violence.
The course highlights the unique systemic vulnerabilities, barriers to care and high risks of violence that specific groups face, including women and girls, Indigenous women and girls, LGBTQ2SIA persons, immigrant, newcomer and refugee women, children and youth, persons with disability, seniors, and those living in northern, remote and rural communities.
The Government of Manitoba has funded a free access code for Manitoba residents. However, free access code spots are limited in number, and we ask interested participants to contact us at for more details. For out-of-province participants and those unable to access the free code, the course fee is $40.00.
What this course will do for you and your organization:
The Willow Place-MAWS course provides an understanding of how family violence impacts clients, families and communities. It will:
• dispel the myths and misconceptions of family violence
• explain how to create a safe space for conversation when a person discloses or when you suspect abuse
• list information and resources so that you can provide a referral
By the end of this course, a participant will be able to:
• define domestic abuse
• give examples of the types of family violence
• understand violence as oppression
• understand societal misperceptions believed about family violence
• recognize when family violence may be affecting families you are working with
• understand the nuances of family violence
• create a safe space for families to share their story
• refer families to resources available for families in Manitoba