More information about Shelters, 

Manitoba shelters are available to help anyone experiencing family or intimate partner violence also called domestic violence. Shelters provide a safe, temporary home for survivors and their children while helping them navigate to a better position in their lives. If you or someone you know needs help call the provincial 24/7 crisis line 1-877-977-0007 to connect to the closest shelter.  

Some people have a safe place to stay but they do need help understanding what is happening to them and how to change their situation. Call the provincial crisis line and discuss the best option.  It may be to receive domestic violence counselling, called Non-Residential Counselling and that can be set up through a shelter. Counselling over the phone is an option as well. 

Call anytime 1-877-977-0007 for more information. 

What to expect:

Meet with staff daily (24/7) for counselling and support, information and education about domestic abuse,

Learn how to safety plan for you and your children,

Access the service of a POD Protection Order Designate to help you prepare for a Protection Order,

Direction and support to access Manitoba Housing, Legal Aid, Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) and community supports


If you require a safe place to stay shelters can help:

Remember to bring with you, any legal documentation that you have for you and any children accompanying you such as passport(s), birth certificates, Health Card, SIN (social insurance number), Immigration papers, Work permit, driver’s license, vehicle registration and insurance, custody papers, Protection orders, banking information, medication(s), prescriptions, school and vaccination records, marriage certificate, mortgage or rental documents, copies of 1-3 years of your partners T4’s etc.

If possible pack a bag with your above documentation or copies of documentation and some money (if you have a joint account he may empty it) ahead of time and leave it in a safe location such as a neighbour, family or friends place.

Take your children with you if you can, the police will not help you retrieve your children unless you have a valid, signed court order.  Once you leave apply for custody as soon as possible if you haven’t already.

Make a plan and teach it to your children.

Teach your children how to dial 911 for help.